2015 - 2018 Strategic Plan
Approved by Board of Directors 5/21/2015
Mission / Vision / Values / Goals
I. Outreach and Inclusion
II. Youth Religious School
III. Lifelong Education and Activities
IV. Worship, Shabbat, Holidays
V. Congregational Leadership
VI. Facilities Maintenance and Capital Improvements
VII. Synagogue Operations and Finance
Beth Israel Congregation is an inclusive synagogue, a center of worship, learning, culture and community that connects Judaism to our lives in today's world.
Beth Israel feels alive, vibrant, relevant and evolving, while rooted in the tradition and history that make Judaism strong. It is a place where Judaism is taken seriously and practiced earnestly and where interpretations of Torah, texts and Jewish traditions from a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives are welcomed and debated. Beth Israel is proud of its long history as the center of Jewish life in the Mid-coast region. We are a nourishing place where people learn, study, question, observe, and connect with God and community.
- Beth Israel is a welcoming and accessible Jewish congregation for people of all ages, races, religious and ethnic backgrounds, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
- We reach out and work together to provide deeply engaging educational experiences for our children, youth, and adults to inspire Jewish spiritual and intellectual growth across the generations.
- We are committed to studying Torah, to maintaining our sacred tradition, and to embracing diversity of Jewish thought, expression, and practice.
- We are a congregation that engages in ongoing service to the larger community.
- Our strength comes from celebrating, growing, grieving, and healing together through all seasons of life in a climate of mutual respect and shared responsibility.
- I. Outreach and Inclusion
- Align all aspects of Beth Israel with our value of being a welcoming and accessible Jewish congregation.
- II. Youth Religious School
- Grow the religious school with a revitalized model that provides a meaningful and relevant Jewish foundation for children and their families.
- III. Lifelong Education and Activities
- Increase adult and multi-generation learning and social opportunities that illuminate the connections between Judaism, our lives and the world around us.
- IV. Worship, Shabbat, Holidays
- Incorporate approaches to sacred tradition in worship and study that embrace a diversity of Jewish thought, expression and practice, and relate Torah to our daily lives.
- V. Congregational Leadership
- Ensure strong lay and professional leadership who advance the Congregation's mission and carry out the Strategic Plan.
- VI. Facilities Maintenance and Capital Improvements
- Maintain and upgrade our buildings to serve the needs of the community, preserve long term value and afford opportunities for rental income.
- VII. Synagogue Operations and Finance
- Develop and maintain the institutional, administrative and financial resources that will allow the Congregation to carry out the Strategic Plan and strengthen our foundation for the future.